issa
AFC/M23 Accuses Kinshasa of Drone Attacks and Ceasefire Violation in Eastern DRC

AFC/M23 Accuses Kinshasa of Drone Attacks and Ceasefire Violation in Eastern DRC

Oct 22, 2025 - 09:19
 0

The Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23) has accused the Kinshasa regime of launching drone strikes on populated areas in North Kivu, alleging a serious violation of the ceasefire and the Doha peace process. The rebel movement warns it may be forced to defend itself to protect civilians as regional tensions in eastern DRC escalate once again.


The Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23) has accused the Kinshasa government of conducting a series of deliberate and indiscriminate drone attacks on densely populated areas in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, calling it a blatant violation of the ceasefire.

In a statement released on Wednesday, October 22, 2025, through its spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka, the group claimed that combat drones were deployed to bomb localities of Nyarushyamba in Masisi territory and Kashebere in Walikale, along with their surrounding areas.

“These ignoble attacks, carried out on Tuesday 21 and Wednesday 22 October 2025, constitute a flagrant violation of the ceasefire,” Kanyuka said.

According to the AFC/M23, these actions demonstrate the Kinshasa regime’s “cynical disregard” for the Doha peace process, exposing what it described as the government’s categorical refusal to resolve the conflict through peaceful means.

“The regime bears full responsibility, having itself provoked the escalation and sabotaged peace efforts,” the statement added.

Kanyuka further stated that the AFC/M23 is calling on regional leaders and international partners to take note of the ongoing aggression. He said that in light of the attacks, the movement feels compelled to “defend itself and neutralize any imminent threat at its source” to ensure the protection of civilian populations.

The accusations come amid heightened tensions in North Kivu, where the M23 rebel movement and the Congolese army (FARDC) have been locked in renewed hostilities despite regional mediation efforts under the Doha framework. So far, the Congolese government has not issued an official response to the latest allegations.

Lawrence Kanyuka, Head of the Department of Communication, Media, Posts and Telecommunications and Spokesperson of the Congo River Alliance (AFC/M23)

 

 

Layla kamanzi Layla Kamanzi is a passionate journalist and creative writer with a keen eye for impactful storytelling. As a Journalism and Mass Communication student at Mount Kenya University, she is dedicated to using words as a tool to inform, inspire, and amplify the voices of everyday people. Driven by curiosity and a love for truth, Layla explores stories that shape communities and spark meaningful conversations. She enjoys blending facts with compelling narratives to create content that educates, empowers, and connects audiences across East Africa and beyond.

AFC/M23 Accuses Kinshasa of Drone Attacks and Ceasefire Violation in Eastern DRC

Oct 22, 2025 - 09:19
Oct 22, 2025 - 10:20
 0
AFC/M23 Accuses Kinshasa of Drone Attacks and Ceasefire Violation in Eastern DRC

The Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23) has accused the Kinshasa regime of launching drone strikes on populated areas in North Kivu, alleging a serious violation of the ceasefire and the Doha peace process. The rebel movement warns it may be forced to defend itself to protect civilians as regional tensions in eastern DRC escalate once again.


The Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23) has accused the Kinshasa government of conducting a series of deliberate and indiscriminate drone attacks on densely populated areas in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, calling it a blatant violation of the ceasefire.

In a statement released on Wednesday, October 22, 2025, through its spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka, the group claimed that combat drones were deployed to bomb localities of Nyarushyamba in Masisi territory and Kashebere in Walikale, along with their surrounding areas.

“These ignoble attacks, carried out on Tuesday 21 and Wednesday 22 October 2025, constitute a flagrant violation of the ceasefire,” Kanyuka said.

According to the AFC/M23, these actions demonstrate the Kinshasa regime’s “cynical disregard” for the Doha peace process, exposing what it described as the government’s categorical refusal to resolve the conflict through peaceful means.

“The regime bears full responsibility, having itself provoked the escalation and sabotaged peace efforts,” the statement added.

Kanyuka further stated that the AFC/M23 is calling on regional leaders and international partners to take note of the ongoing aggression. He said that in light of the attacks, the movement feels compelled to “defend itself and neutralize any imminent threat at its source” to ensure the protection of civilian populations.

The accusations come amid heightened tensions in North Kivu, where the M23 rebel movement and the Congolese army (FARDC) have been locked in renewed hostilities despite regional mediation efforts under the Doha framework. So far, the Congolese government has not issued an official response to the latest allegations.

Lawrence Kanyuka, Head of the Department of Communication, Media, Posts and Telecommunications and Spokesperson of the Congo River Alliance (AFC/M23)