issa
EXCLUSIVE: Red Cross Worker Condemns Market Blockade Against Banyamulenge in South Kivu

EXCLUSIVE: Red Cross Worker Condemns Market Blockade Against Banyamulenge in South Kivu

Nov 3, 2025 - 08:48
 0

A Red Cross worker in South Kivu has condemned the ongoing blockade against the Banyamulenge community, calling it a serious violation of human rights. He urged international organizations to intervene as Burundian and Congolese forces continue to restrict access to markets and humanitarian aid in Minembwe. The worker emphasized that the Banyamulenge, like all civilians, deserve equal rights to life, safety, and dignity under international law.


A staff member of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) based in South Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, has spoken out against the ongoing blockade preventing the Banyamulenge community from accessing local markets, calling it “a serious violation of human rights.”

Speaking to UkweliTimes on Sunday evening, November 2, 2025, the humanitarian worker said he was deeply troubled by the restrictions allegedly imposed by Burundian troops stationed in the region, which have left the Banyamulenge isolated and struggling to meet basic needs.

 “The decision to shut down markets for a specific ethnic group is extremely alarming,” he said. “It is a clear violation of human rights, compounded by indiscriminate killings that continue to take place.”

He explained that under international humanitarian law, particularly the laws of war, civilians in conflict zones are entitled to protection and access to essential goods and services  regardless of which armed groups control the area.

 “The Banyamulenge are human beings like everyone else,” he emphasized. “They deserve the right to live and to access basic needs without having to beg for permission.”

The Red Cross worker added that the community’s demand for access to markets and humanitarian aid is not a matter of charity but a fundamental right enshrined in the Geneva Conventions of 1949 and the Additional Protocols of 1977.

 “What these people are asking for is guaranteed under international law. Roads, markets, and humanitarian corridors must be reopened and made accessible to all  without discrimination based on ethnicity, religion, or appearance,” he told UkweliTimes.

He urged international human rights organizations to take immediate action to address the crisis, warning that continued silence could lead to a humanitarian disaster.

Since February 2025, the Banyamulenge population in Minembwe has been unable to access local markets following the closure of two key supply routes  the Kwa Mulima road and the Bijombo route  reportedly blocked by joint Burundian and Congolese (FARDC) forces.

The Kwa Mulima route had been the main link for goods coming from Baraka in the Fizi territory, while the Bijombo road connected Minembwe to Uvira, Bukavu, and other parts of South Kivu.

As a result, Minembwe residents have faced acute shortages of essential products such as soap, salt, cooking oil, sugar, and fuel.

Furthermore, reports indicate that Burundian and FARDC troops have established military checkpoints and positions near major Banyamulenge settlements  including Birarombili, Gitashya, Gipupu, Mikarati, Point Zero, and Nyamara  where civilians allegedly face harassment, extortion, and other abuses.

 “International organizations must rise to the occasion,” the Red Cross worker insisted. “Humanitarian neutrality must be respected, and every life must be protected.”

Banyamulenge civilians in Minembwe, South Kivu, struggling with restricted access to markets after Burundian and Congolese forces closed key routes. Humanitarian groups have called for immediate action to restore their rights and freedom of movement.

 

Layla kamanzi Layla Kamanzi is a passionate journalist and creative writer with a keen eye for impactful storytelling. As a Journalism and Mass Communication student at Mount Kenya University, she is dedicated to using words as a tool to inform, inspire, and amplify the voices of everyday people. Driven by curiosity and a love for truth, Layla explores stories that shape communities and spark meaningful conversations. She enjoys blending facts with compelling narratives to create content that educates, empowers, and connects audiences across East Africa and beyond.

EXCLUSIVE: Red Cross Worker Condemns Market Blockade Against Banyamulenge in South Kivu

Nov 3, 2025 - 08:48
 0
EXCLUSIVE: Red Cross Worker Condemns Market Blockade Against Banyamulenge in South Kivu

A Red Cross worker in South Kivu has condemned the ongoing blockade against the Banyamulenge community, calling it a serious violation of human rights. He urged international organizations to intervene as Burundian and Congolese forces continue to restrict access to markets and humanitarian aid in Minembwe. The worker emphasized that the Banyamulenge, like all civilians, deserve equal rights to life, safety, and dignity under international law.


A staff member of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) based in South Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, has spoken out against the ongoing blockade preventing the Banyamulenge community from accessing local markets, calling it “a serious violation of human rights.”

Speaking to UkweliTimes on Sunday evening, November 2, 2025, the humanitarian worker said he was deeply troubled by the restrictions allegedly imposed by Burundian troops stationed in the region, which have left the Banyamulenge isolated and struggling to meet basic needs.

 “The decision to shut down markets for a specific ethnic group is extremely alarming,” he said. “It is a clear violation of human rights, compounded by indiscriminate killings that continue to take place.”

He explained that under international humanitarian law, particularly the laws of war, civilians in conflict zones are entitled to protection and access to essential goods and services  regardless of which armed groups control the area.

 “The Banyamulenge are human beings like everyone else,” he emphasized. “They deserve the right to live and to access basic needs without having to beg for permission.”

The Red Cross worker added that the community’s demand for access to markets and humanitarian aid is not a matter of charity but a fundamental right enshrined in the Geneva Conventions of 1949 and the Additional Protocols of 1977.

 “What these people are asking for is guaranteed under international law. Roads, markets, and humanitarian corridors must be reopened and made accessible to all  without discrimination based on ethnicity, religion, or appearance,” he told UkweliTimes.

He urged international human rights organizations to take immediate action to address the crisis, warning that continued silence could lead to a humanitarian disaster.

Since February 2025, the Banyamulenge population in Minembwe has been unable to access local markets following the closure of two key supply routes  the Kwa Mulima road and the Bijombo route  reportedly blocked by joint Burundian and Congolese (FARDC) forces.

The Kwa Mulima route had been the main link for goods coming from Baraka in the Fizi territory, while the Bijombo road connected Minembwe to Uvira, Bukavu, and other parts of South Kivu.

As a result, Minembwe residents have faced acute shortages of essential products such as soap, salt, cooking oil, sugar, and fuel.

Furthermore, reports indicate that Burundian and FARDC troops have established military checkpoints and positions near major Banyamulenge settlements  including Birarombili, Gitashya, Gipupu, Mikarati, Point Zero, and Nyamara  where civilians allegedly face harassment, extortion, and other abuses.

 “International organizations must rise to the occasion,” the Red Cross worker insisted. “Humanitarian neutrality must be respected, and every life must be protected.”

Banyamulenge civilians in Minembwe, South Kivu, struggling with restricted access to markets after Burundian and Congolese forces closed key routes. Humanitarian groups have called for immediate action to restore their rights and freedom of movement.