issa
Rwanda Dismisses DRC Claims Over Visit Rwanda Arsenal Partnership Termination

Rwanda Dismisses DRC Claims Over Visit Rwanda Arsenal Partnership Termination

Jan 3, 2026 - 09:28
 0

Rwanda has dismissed claims by the DRC that it played a role in ending the Visit Rwanda Arsenal partnership, calling them false and politically driven. Rwandan officials say the agreement concluded as part of a planned business and marketing strategy shift, not due to external pressure. The government maintains that the decision reflects Rwanda’s move toward new international sports partnerships, particularly in the U.S., rather than a diplomatic success for Kinshasa.


The Government of Rwanda has firmly dismissed claims by the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) that it played a role in the termination of the Visit Rwanda sponsorship agreement with English Premier League club Arsenal, describing the assertions as false and politically motivated.

 Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Ambassador Olivier Nduhungirehe, said statements made by Congolese authorities lack any factual basis and strongly criticized what he termed Kinshasa’s persistent habit of spreading misinformation on the international stage. The remarks follow an interview aired on January 1, 2025, on the DRC’s national broadcaster RTNC, in which the Congolese Minister of Foreign Affairs, Thérèse Kayikwamba Wagner, claimed that one of her country’s diplomatic achievements was the suspension of Rwanda’s partnership with Arsenal through the Visit Rwanda brand.

 “We held several discussions with the European Union and also raised the matter with partners in Asia and America. We took the issue to international platforms, including sports, so that what is happening in eastern DRC would not be ignored. This approach yielded results,” Kayikwamba said during the interview, which was accompanied by visuals suggesting that the Visit Rwanda–Arsenal partnership had been halted.

 The claims surprised many observers, particularly the framing of the end of a commercial sponsorship agreement as a diplomatic victory. Analysts and members of the public questioned what tangible benefit such a move would bring to Congolese citizens, while criticizing the politicization of another country’s commercial decisions.

 Amb. Nduhungirehe categorically rejected the narrative, stating that the conclusion of the partnership was never the result of pressure from the DRC or any other party.

“I was already aware that self-praise and exaggerated claims are a long-standing practice among Congolese politicians, but lying about our Visit Rwanda partnership with Arsenal takes it to another level,” he said. “The falsehoods propagated by the Kinshasa government are precisely what continue to hold it back.”

 In November 2025, the Rwanda Development Board (RDB) announced that the Visit Rwanda–Arsenal agreement would officially conclude in August 2026 and would not be renewed. RDB explained that the decision was part of a broader shift in Rwanda’s sports-based marketing and investment strategy, aimed at diversification and expansion into new international markets.

This announcement came shortly after Visit Rwanda unveiled new sponsorship deals in September 2025 with U.S.-based sports teams, including NBA side LA Clippers and NFL franchise Los Angeles Rams, signaling a strategic pivot toward the American market.

 President Paul Kagame also addressed the matter in November 2025, stressing that the decision to end the Arsenal partnership had nothing to do with pressure from Europe or the DRC.

“Eight years is a long time for a commercial contract,” Kagame said. “We still have other European partnerships, including with PSG and Atlético Madrid, so European pressure is not an issue.”

 He emphasized that such agreements are purely commercial and subject to regular review based on mutual benefit.

 “When the time comes to explore new partnerships that better align with evolving interests, both parties agree. That is exactly what happened,” he explained.

 President Kagame further noted that the DRC had repeatedly attempted to undermine the partnership without success, arguing that the real objective was not conflict resolution but rather to tarnish Rwanda’s image. He added that Rwanda has already opened doors to the U.S. market, describing recent developments as only the beginning of larger strategic partnerships underway.

 Overall, Rwanda maintains that the conclusion of the Visit Rwanda–Arsenal sponsorship was a business decision aligned with a new development and marketing strategy, and not a political victory for the DRC as claimed by authorities in Kinshasa.

Layla kamanzi Layla Kamanzi is a passionate journalist and creative writer with a keen eye for impactful storytelling. As a Journalism and Mass Communication student at Mount Kenya University, she is dedicated to using words as a tool to inform, inspire, and amplify the voices of everyday people. Driven by curiosity and a love for truth, Layla explores stories that shape communities and spark meaningful conversations. She enjoys blending facts with compelling narratives to create content that educates, empowers, and connects audiences across East Africa and beyond.

Rwanda Dismisses DRC Claims Over Visit Rwanda Arsenal Partnership Termination

Jan 3, 2026 - 09:28
Jan 3, 2026 - 09:29
 0
Rwanda Dismisses DRC Claims Over Visit Rwanda Arsenal Partnership Termination

Rwanda has dismissed claims by the DRC that it played a role in ending the Visit Rwanda Arsenal partnership, calling them false and politically driven. Rwandan officials say the agreement concluded as part of a planned business and marketing strategy shift, not due to external pressure. The government maintains that the decision reflects Rwanda’s move toward new international sports partnerships, particularly in the U.S., rather than a diplomatic success for Kinshasa.


The Government of Rwanda has firmly dismissed claims by the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) that it played a role in the termination of the Visit Rwanda sponsorship agreement with English Premier League club Arsenal, describing the assertions as false and politically motivated.

 Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Ambassador Olivier Nduhungirehe, said statements made by Congolese authorities lack any factual basis and strongly criticized what he termed Kinshasa’s persistent habit of spreading misinformation on the international stage. The remarks follow an interview aired on January 1, 2025, on the DRC’s national broadcaster RTNC, in which the Congolese Minister of Foreign Affairs, Thérèse Kayikwamba Wagner, claimed that one of her country’s diplomatic achievements was the suspension of Rwanda’s partnership with Arsenal through the Visit Rwanda brand.

 “We held several discussions with the European Union and also raised the matter with partners in Asia and America. We took the issue to international platforms, including sports, so that what is happening in eastern DRC would not be ignored. This approach yielded results,” Kayikwamba said during the interview, which was accompanied by visuals suggesting that the Visit Rwanda–Arsenal partnership had been halted.

 The claims surprised many observers, particularly the framing of the end of a commercial sponsorship agreement as a diplomatic victory. Analysts and members of the public questioned what tangible benefit such a move would bring to Congolese citizens, while criticizing the politicization of another country’s commercial decisions.

 Amb. Nduhungirehe categorically rejected the narrative, stating that the conclusion of the partnership was never the result of pressure from the DRC or any other party.

“I was already aware that self-praise and exaggerated claims are a long-standing practice among Congolese politicians, but lying about our Visit Rwanda partnership with Arsenal takes it to another level,” he said. “The falsehoods propagated by the Kinshasa government are precisely what continue to hold it back.”

 In November 2025, the Rwanda Development Board (RDB) announced that the Visit Rwanda–Arsenal agreement would officially conclude in August 2026 and would not be renewed. RDB explained that the decision was part of a broader shift in Rwanda’s sports-based marketing and investment strategy, aimed at diversification and expansion into new international markets.

This announcement came shortly after Visit Rwanda unveiled new sponsorship deals in September 2025 with U.S.-based sports teams, including NBA side LA Clippers and NFL franchise Los Angeles Rams, signaling a strategic pivot toward the American market.

 President Paul Kagame also addressed the matter in November 2025, stressing that the decision to end the Arsenal partnership had nothing to do with pressure from Europe or the DRC.

“Eight years is a long time for a commercial contract,” Kagame said. “We still have other European partnerships, including with PSG and Atlético Madrid, so European pressure is not an issue.”

 He emphasized that such agreements are purely commercial and subject to regular review based on mutual benefit.

 “When the time comes to explore new partnerships that better align with evolving interests, both parties agree. That is exactly what happened,” he explained.

 President Kagame further noted that the DRC had repeatedly attempted to undermine the partnership without success, arguing that the real objective was not conflict resolution but rather to tarnish Rwanda’s image. He added that Rwanda has already opened doors to the U.S. market, describing recent developments as only the beginning of larger strategic partnerships underway.

 Overall, Rwanda maintains that the conclusion of the Visit Rwanda–Arsenal sponsorship was a business decision aligned with a new development and marketing strategy, and not a political victory for the DRC as claimed by authorities in Kinshasa.