More Than 5,000 Killed as Iran Protests Turn Deadly
Iranian authorities have confirmed that at least 5,000 people, including around 500 members of the security forces, have been killed since nationwide protests erupted late last year.
The demonstrations began on December 28, 2025, driven mainly by growing economic hardship and rising living costs. Since then, unrest has spread to several parts of the country, leading to violent confrontations between protesters and security agencies.
The Iranian government has accused foreign powers, particularly Israel and the United States, of fueling the violence by backing armed protesters. Officials claim that external interference has contributed to the deaths of innocent civilians.
Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said the country does not seek war but warned that authorities will not tolerate impunity for those responsible for violence, whether inside or outside Iran. On Sunday, the judiciary signaled the possibility of reinstating mass death sentences in response to what it described as serious crimes.
U.S. President Donald Trump had previously warned that the United States could intervene if protesters continued to be killed in large numbers. However, he later walked back those remarks, stating that such plans were no longer under consideration.
In an interview on January 17, Trump praised Iran for not escalating the killings further, but insisted that the country’s leadership must change. Meanwhile, Iranian authorities continue to blame the U.S. and Israel for instigating the unrest that has claimed thousands of lives.
Human rights organization HRANA, based in the United States, reported on Saturday that 3,308 people had been confirmed dead. The group also said 4,382 others were injured and receiving medical treatment, while more than 24,000 people have been arrested since the protests began.


Kinyarwanda
English
Swahili









