Trump accuses China of 'violating' the tariff truce, and China responds
China has retaliated with claims of US malfeasance in response to US President Donald Trump's accusation that China violated a two-week-old tariff truce.
Following negotiations earlier this month in Geneva, Washington and Beijing decided to temporarily reduce tit-for-tat tariffs.
Nevertheless, Trump claimed that China had "totally violated its agreement with us" on Friday. US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer later claimed that China had not been reducing non-tariff obstacles as per the agreement, although he did not provide specifics.
Beijing's reaction on Friday called on the US to "cease discriminatory restrictions against China" but did not directly address the US charges.
The strong statements from both sides have raised concerns that trade tensions could again escalate between the world's two largest economies despite recent negotiations.
Trump on Friday said in a Truth Social post that the tariffs his administration had imposed had been "devastating" for China and so he had "made a FAST DEAL" to save them from "what I thought was going to be a very bad situation".
"Everybody was happy! That is the good news!!! The bad news is that China, perhaps not surprisingly to some, HAS TOTALLY VIOLATED ITS AGREEMENT WITH US. So much for being Mr. NICE GUY!"
He did not expand on his accusation, but Ambassador Greer later told TV network CNBC that China was yet to properly roll back other trade restrictions it had levied on the US.
Greer said when China responded to the US's tariffs with its own, they also put in place countermeasures such as putting some US companies on blacklists and restricting exports of rare earth magnets, a critical component in cars, aircraft and semiconductors.
"They removed the tariff like we did but some of the countermeasures they've slowed on," Ambassador Greer said.
He added the US had been closely watching China to make sure it would comply with the deal and they were "very concerned" with the progress.
"The United States did exactly what it was supposed to do and the Chinese are slow-rolling their compliance which is completely unacceptable and has to be addressed," Greer said.
China responded on Friday urging the US to "immediately correct its erroneous actions, cease discriminatory restrictions against China and jointly uphold the consensus reached at the high-level talks in Geneva".
A spokesman from its Washington embassy said China had recently "repeatedly raised concerns" with the US over its "abuse of export control measures in the semiconductor sector". The US already has restrictions in place on technology exports to China, and on Wednesday paused more sales to China of chip technologies - crucial to semiconductors - and also paused exports of chemicals and machinery.
Pengyu Liu said both sides had maintained communication since the talks in Geneva on 11 May, which had ended on a positive note.
However on Thursday, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had said trade talks with China had become "a bit stalled".
Bessent told Fox News on Thursday: "I think that given the magnitude of the talks, given the complexity, that this is going to require [leaders of both the countries] to weigh in with each other."
Trump's global tariff regime was dealt a blow on Wednesday following a ruling that he had exceeded his authority. His plans have been temporarily reinstated after the White House appealed the decision.
His administration this week also moved to "aggressively" revoke the visas of Chinese students studying in the US, of which there are an estimated 280,000.
In Geneva, Washington and Beijing had agreed to reduce tariffs imposed on each other's imports in a deal where both nations cancelled some tariffs altogether and suspended others for 90 days.


Kinyarwanda
English
Swahili









