issa
Rwanda will not lift Defensive measures as long as FDLR is supported by DRC – Nduhungirehe

Rwanda will not lift Defensive measures as long as FDLR is supported by DRC – Nduhungirehe

Aug 17, 2025 - 13:24
 0

Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Olivier Nduhungirehe, stated that Rwanda will never halt its defensive measures along its borders as long as the terrorist group FDLR has not been completely dismantled. He made these remarks on August 16, 2025, during the Australian Leadership Retreat forum.


FDLR Remains a Threat

Nduhungirehe explained that the FDLR is composed of perpetrators of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, who have been hiding in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for 31 years with the aim of destabilizing Rwanda.

He said: “The people who committed the Genocide are still in the DRC. For 31 years they have been trying to destabilize Rwanda. We have had numerous peace talks — last year in Luanda, this year in Washington.”

Washington Peace Agreement

On June 27, 2025, Rwanda and the DRC signed a peace agreement in Washington aimed at addressing issues related to security, FDLR terrorism, as well as border and cultural disputes. Rwanda’s Parliament ratified the deal on July 29, 2025.

Minister Nduhungirehe said the agreement stipulated that the FDLR must be eradicated, after which Rwanda would lift its defensive measures. However, he added: “Until this is proven in practice, our measures will remain.”

Border and Cultural Issues

Nduhungirehe reminded that political issues linked to Congolese citizens of Rwandan descent need to be resolved. These, he said, originated from colonial borders drawn between 1910–1912, leaving some people on the Congolese side where they were denied citizenship. This issue was also discussed in Doha under Qatar’s mediation in search of a lasting solution.

Rwanda Warns DRC

Despite the signing of the peace agreement, Nduhungirehe said it is difficult to trust that the DRC will honor its commitments, stressing the need for political will to implement them.

He declared: “We will never allow the security of Rwandans to be threatened. Our defensive measures will remain in place until the FDLR is completely eradicated, whether through voluntary disarmament by its fighters or through military force.”

Rwanda will not lift Defensive measures as long as FDLR is supported by DRC – Nduhungirehe

Aug 17, 2025 - 13:24
Aug 17, 2025 - 13:27
 0
Rwanda will not lift Defensive measures as long as FDLR is supported by DRC – Nduhungirehe

Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Olivier Nduhungirehe, stated that Rwanda will never halt its defensive measures along its borders as long as the terrorist group FDLR has not been completely dismantled. He made these remarks on August 16, 2025, during the Australian Leadership Retreat forum.


FDLR Remains a Threat

Nduhungirehe explained that the FDLR is composed of perpetrators of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, who have been hiding in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for 31 years with the aim of destabilizing Rwanda.

He said: “The people who committed the Genocide are still in the DRC. For 31 years they have been trying to destabilize Rwanda. We have had numerous peace talks — last year in Luanda, this year in Washington.”

Washington Peace Agreement

On June 27, 2025, Rwanda and the DRC signed a peace agreement in Washington aimed at addressing issues related to security, FDLR terrorism, as well as border and cultural disputes. Rwanda’s Parliament ratified the deal on July 29, 2025.

Minister Nduhungirehe said the agreement stipulated that the FDLR must be eradicated, after which Rwanda would lift its defensive measures. However, he added: “Until this is proven in practice, our measures will remain.”

Border and Cultural Issues

Nduhungirehe reminded that political issues linked to Congolese citizens of Rwandan descent need to be resolved. These, he said, originated from colonial borders drawn between 1910–1912, leaving some people on the Congolese side where they were denied citizenship. This issue was also discussed in Doha under Qatar’s mediation in search of a lasting solution.

Rwanda Warns DRC

Despite the signing of the peace agreement, Nduhungirehe said it is difficult to trust that the DRC will honor its commitments, stressing the need for political will to implement them.

He declared: “We will never allow the security of Rwandans to be threatened. Our defensive measures will remain in place until the FDLR is completely eradicated, whether through voluntary disarmament by its fighters or through military force.”